Sticky Pomegranate Chicken Wings Recipe
Chicken wings are most popular with the men irrespective of the combinations it comes with, which is always a welcoming sign to look for new combinations. Here is a recipe to introduce another possible way to delicious chicken wings. Pomegranate plays an important role to add the subtle flavors to the wings without making them too sweet. And the rest of the ingredients used here do enough justice to the dish to make it earn a spot in the favorite appetizers list.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (optional)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame/vegetable/olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with heavy duty foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Clean the chicken wings under running water; Pat them dry with paper towels. Split the joints; separate them from drumsticks; remove the tips to make it easy to eat.
Season wings with ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and salt evenly on all sides.
Arrange seasoned wings on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake them at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn the wings once after 15 minutes and bake for another 15 minutes.
In the meantime add 1 cup of pomegranate juice to a saucepan over medium heat along with ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, ½ cup honey, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil, 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Stir until all the ingredients combines well into sauce. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to low; add ½ tablespoon of lemon zest; cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens and gets desired consistency. Taste it; add spices and increase quantities to your requirements. Sauce makes the wings; make sure the sauce is to your liking. Divide the it into 3 portions; reserve the third for serving.
Pour the 2 portions of the sauce over baked chicken wings; make sure to baste all the pieces completely with the sauce; return the tray back to oven and bake for another 20 minutes until wings cooked through; take the tray out of oven when it’s done; transfer to a serving bowl; top with pomegranate seeds and serve hot with reserved sauce.
Notes & Tips:
- You can store the extra sauce in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Don’t forget to line baking sheet with foil. It saves a lot of scrubbing.
- Replace apple cider vinegar with red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
- You may use other parts of the chicken for this recipe.
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Take skin off the wings for healthier version.