Spicy Southwest Skewers Recipe
These appealingly simple chicken skewers are extremely easy to prepare with the ingredients you can normally find in the pantry; though the recipe only used chicken cubes you can include as many additional attractions as you like to the skewers; to make it more vibrant use different colors of fresh vegetables.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 35 mins (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Taco seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon garlic pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (optional)
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1-1 ½ inch pieces; or chop it up the way you prefer.
Make the marinade by mixing 2 tablespoons Taco seasoning mix, ½ teaspoon garlic pepper, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and salt (if needed) in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag or in a zip lock bag. Shake the bag to mix all the ingredients well.
To make it easy, prepare this one day before; seal the bag and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
Add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 30 minutes at least. But the flavor will be much better if you let it marinate longer than 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat; lightly coat the grate with oil.
After 30 minutes take chicken out of the fridge; discard the marinade; thread chicken onto skewers; distribute pieces evenly between the skewers; adjust together.
Place skewers on the hot grill; cook for 10 minutes, flipping chicken after every 3 minutes until both sides browned and chicken cooked through.
Remove from the grill once done; slide them off the skewers to a serving platter; garnish with lemon wedges and onion rings; serve hot over rice accompanied by a bowl of chilled dipping sauce or simply serve with a salad.
Notes & Tips:
- The recipe will work for Turkey also.
- If you are using wooden skewers soak in water for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Increase/decrease spices to suit your family spice profile.
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- For a variation add vegetables to the skewers along with chicken cubes.