Shortcut Chicken Curry with Curry Powder Recipe
Find the trouble free starting point to make the delicious curry with this recipe. An Indian inspired curry which is quick to cook but would offer you the restaurant vibe in terms of flavors; increase the quantity of curry powder for more depth of flavors; using curry powder to make curries is the best way to enjoy Indian food without too much spice in it; so use it to your advantage for guaranteed taste even if you are a beginner in cooking;
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1 inch (or your preferred size) pieces. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously all over the pieces.
Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; sauté minced garlic in the hot oil for 30 seconds until fragrant.; add chicken pieces to the garlic in a single layer; cook for 4 minutes until golden brown; transfer browned chicken pieces to a plate.
Add remaining olive oil to the skillet along with chopped onions and ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes; sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add 2 tablespoons of curry powder to the onions; stir to mix well;
Add 1 cup of chicken stock along with 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro to the skillet; stirring as you go and scraping up the browned bits from the base of the skillet with a wooden spoon; bring to a boil. Taste it; add salt and seasonings as needed; adjust heat to low; return chicken pieces back to the skillet; cook for 8-10 minutes until chicken cooks through;
Off the heat when it’s done; transfer to a serving bowl; garnish with the remaining cilantro; serve hot over a bed of rice or with naans (Indian breads); accompanied by a nice salad.
Notes & Tips:
- For a variation add cubed potatoes along with onions.
- For veg version replace chicken with your favorite vegetables and mushrooms.
- To decrease the spiciness, add a teaspoon of brown sugar or a teaspoon lemon juice to the chicken broth.
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Any part of the chicken can be used in this recipe.