Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
Enjoy the tasty dish with unusual combination of ingredients. This particular recipe here used creamy peanut butter but you can change it up to chunky variety. To improve the appearance, add more seasonal & colorful fresh herbs; if you find this chicken version impressive try the recipe with shrimp and fish too.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetables/olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- 1 cup chicken broth (homemade, less sodium is preferred)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (chopped for garnish, optional)
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1 inch pieces; season with salt and black pepper.
Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken pieces in a single layer until brown on one side for about 2 minutes; turn the pieces over and cook the other side also for 2 minutes until brown. If the skillet is not large enough to fit all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Transfer browned chicken to a plate when they are done; set aside.
In the same skillet, sauté onions along with the remaining olive oil for 3 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add minced garlic and grated ginger to the onions; sauté for a minutes until fragrant; then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes until soft while stirring occasionally; use a wooden spatula and scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet into the mixture with the juices released from the tomatoes;
Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the skillet; bring to a boil; reduce heat to low; return chicken back to the skillet along with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro. Stir once to combine the ingredients; taste it and adjust the salt, spices and its quantities to your preference; cook for 8 minutes until chicken cooks through.
While stirring continuously add ½ cup of creamy peanut butter to the chicken; continue stirring until butter melts into a creamy sauce; cook for 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens. If the sauce gets too thick add a bit more chicken broth to thin it out.
Transfer it to a serving bowl when it’s done; garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and roasted peanuts (if you like); serve hot over a bed of rice with a salad as side.
Notes & Tips:
- For a variation use shrimp or fish instead of chicken.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of lime juice over the chicken and garnish with thin lime wedges to give it an extra kick.
- Any part of the chicken can be used in this recipe.
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken.