Orange Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe
There is no better way to impress the guests in a beautiful and delicious way than serving these orange glazed chicken wings. The wing acquires the beautiful color from oranges and the combination of chicken & oranges is surprisingly enticing too; using fresh orange juice is the best way to achieve color and flavor; so this orange season invite the tasty appetizers to your home.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 2 ½ pounds chicken wings
- 1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed and without pulp)
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium is preferred)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Thinly sliced orange wedges
Preheat the grill for medium-high; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Clean the chicken wings under running water; Pat them dry with paper towels. Split the joints; separate them from drumsticks; remove the tips to make it convenient to eat.
Season wings with ½ teaspoon black pepper and salt.
Place seasoned chicken wings on the grill; grill for about 4 minutes flipping the wings over once after 2 minutes;
In the meantime melt a tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan over medium heat; once melted add 1 cup orange juice, minced garlic, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon orange zest; stir once to combine the ingredients; bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes until liquid reduces a bit. Taste it and add spices to your requirements; increase quantities if needed.
Make cornstarch slurry by combining 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoon of water in a small bowl; whisk until the lumps dissolved completely;
While stirring continuously add slurry to the sauce; continue cooking for a minute more until sauce thickens;
With the help of a brush apply orange glaze to chicken wings evenly on all sides. Grill for 10-12 minutes while turning pieces frequently and basting the wings constantly with remaining mixture until chicken cooks through. Pay attention to the wings while grilling because they are quick to glaze and quick to burn
Transfer to a serving platter when it’s done; garnish with thinly sliced orange wedges; serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Honey can be omitted or replaced by brown sugar.
- Substitute soy sauce with Worcestershire sauce.
- Season sauce with as many spices and herbs as you like.
- For baking version, bake seasoned chicken wings for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. pour the sauce over wings and bake for another 5 minutes until juices run clear.
- Grilling time depends on the heat and thickness of the chicken.
- If you do not have fresh orange juice use orange jelly instead.