Mediterranean Chicken & Couscous Recipe
Change the way you eat couscous with this delightful Mediterranean chicken & couscous; though the recipe followed basic procedure you can easily adapt it to your style. Using of rotisserie chicken will decrease the cooking time dramatically which is ideal for summers when it’s too hot to be in the kitchen. This is healthy and delicious served hot as well as cold.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ¾ teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pack couscous
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (quartered)
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1 inch pieces; Sprinkle salt and pepper generously all over the pieces.
Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; sauté 3 cloves of minced garlic in the hot oil for 30 seconds until fragrant.; add chicken pieces to the garlic in a single layer; cook for 3 minutes until golden brown; transfer browned chicken pieces to a plate.
Add remaining olive oil to the skillet along with chopped onions, ½ teaspoon of ground cumin and ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes; sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add tomatoes along with 2 cups of chicken broth, ¼ cup water and 1 ½ tablespoon of lemon juice to the onions; stirring as you go and scraping up the browned bits from the base of the skillet with a wooden spoon; bring to a boil.
Taste it; add salt and seasonings as needed; adjust heat to low; return chicken pieces back to the skillet; cook for 7-8 minutes until chicken cooks through; then add a pack of couscous to the broth (pour extra hot water if it needed); stir to combine well; off the heat and cover the skillet with a lid; let it stand for 5-8 minutes until broth is absorbed and couscous is cooked completely.
To serve, transfer it to a plate; use a fork to fluff the grains slowly; top with ½ cup crumbled feta cheese; garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil; serve hot.
Notes & Tips:
- Leftover or readily available cooked chicken can be used.
- Any part of the chicken can be used in this recipe.
- For crispier touch use skin on chicken
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken
- For a variation use shrimp instead of chicken
- If couscous is not available substitute it with quinoa.