Lemon Yogurt Chicken Recipe
Yogurt marinade is one of the popular marinades in Greek and Indian cuisines; Particularly in India the yogurt marinade which acts as a key to tenderize the meat includes ground turmeric along with the other listed ingredients to give extra color and flavor to the meat. Go with your preference when it comes to turmeric; and have a taste of this fresh tasting grilled chicken.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 3 hours 5 minutes (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferred)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels.
Cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Combine ½ cup low fat plain Greek yogurt in a medium bowl along with ½ teaspoon minced garlic, Salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Whisk until all the ingredients combines into a creamy marinade. Taste it; adjust the spices and quantities to your requirements; if marinade is too thick add 2 tablespoons of water to thin it out.
Pour the marinade in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag or in a zip lock bag; add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 3 hours at least.
Preheat grill to medium high heat; generously coat the grate with oil.
Take marinated chicken out of refrigerator. Place on the hot grill; cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping the pieces frequently as needed until both sides browned and chicken cooked through. Pay more attention while grilling as it is very quick to burn.
Remove from the grill; arrange them on a serving platter; garnish with fresh parsley leaves and thinly sliced lime wedges if you like. Serve hot over a bed of rice with sautéed vegetables on a side.
Notes & Tips:
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Marinated chicken can be left in the refrigerator overnight.
- To make the dish more colorful add ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric to the marinade.
- Substitute lime in the place of the lemon.