Honey & Soy sauce Grilled Chicken Recipe
Add this one more recipe to the list of ‘Grilling Varieties’ which has summer written all over it. Chicken is marinated in the Soy sauce which partners with the sweet honey along with a small group of other ingredients, then grilled or baked to deliver the delicious looking chicken to the dinner table. It’s surprisingly easy and quick to cook with the ingredients you can normally find in the pantry. Try making this one if you like easy weekday dinner recipes.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 1 hr and 10 mins (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 medium sized boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce (low sodium is preferred)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the chicken under running water; pat with paper towels until dry; using a sharp knife cut them lengthwise, like cutlets.
Make marinade by mixing ¼ cup soy sauce in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag or in a zip lock bag with ½ teaspoon minced garlic, ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger, ¼ cup honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon lime juice.
Add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 1 hour at least; chicken can be marinated overnight.
Preheat the grill for medium; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Take the bag out of fridge; discard the marinade; sprinkle ½ teaspoon black pepper over the pieces.
Place the marinated chicken on the grill; grill for about 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side), turning pieces occasionally until chicken cooks through. Increase the temperature of the grill slightly to get the color and char; grill for 30 seconds on each side; test the doneness of the chicken before removing it from the heat; cut the thickest part of the breast with fork tip or read the internal temperature with a thermometer; ideal temperature should be 160 degrees F.
Transfer grilled chicken to a serving platter; allow it to rest for 8-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thinly sliced lime wedges; serve hot over a bed of fragrant rice accompanied by a crunchy salad.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- You may use turkey or pork for this recipe.
- Make a delicious sandwich with the leftover honey grilled chicken.
- If you don’t have a grill bake the chicken at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes; or heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a thick bottomed skillet and cook chicken for 12 minutes, turning occasionally.