Honey Crusted Chicken Recipe
This recipe introduces another possible variety of crusted chicken; you get to experience the crispy chicken with a hint of honey in every bite as it uses honey as the dip, cornflakes as the crust and a few spices to intensity the flavors; whenever you choose to make this make sure to use best quality of honey.
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups cornflakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferred)
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a foil lined baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Rinse chicken thoroughly with cold water; pat dry the pieces with paper towels or clean cloth; using a sharp knife cut chicken breast into half horizontally. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper all over the chicken.
In a shallow bowl mix ¼ cup of honey with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice; whisk for 30 seconds until smooth.
Put cornflakes in a zip lock bag; close it and crush cornflakes into crumbs; add ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon dried oregano to the cornflake crumbs; shake the bag to combine all the ingredients; transfer the mixture to a plate.
Working with one at a time, dip chicken breasts in the honey mixture; let excess drip off the chicken;
Now dredge both sides of the piece in cornflakes mixture. Lightly press the mixture into it using back side of a wooden spatula and make sure to coat on all sides; repeat the process for remaining breasts.
Arrange all the coated chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet; bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes until chicken cooks through. Test the doneness of the chicken before removing it from the oven; cut the thickest part of the breast with fork tip or read the internal temperature with a thermometer; ideal temperature should be 160 degrees F.
Take the tray out of the oven when done; transfer to a serving platter; garnish with chopped fresh parsley leaves if you like; serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce and green salad.
Notes & Tips:
- To decrease the time use chicken cutlets instead of flattening a breast.
- Add plenty of your favorite seasonings to the cornflake mixture.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over coated chicken pieces before baking to keep it moist.
- Use 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese as a topping just before serving.
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- If you do not have cornflakes on hand use crushed cereal.
- For a variation use turkey instead of chicken.