Grilled Thyme Chicken Recipe
Whether used in a group of other herbs to improve the quality or as a main ingredient to flavor the dish, thyme does its job with perfection. This particular dish can be prepared in number of ways; and this recipe adapted the grill version to make the aromatic chicken. Pair it with new potatoes and houmous to complete the meal. Use fresh thyme for the flavor to shine through.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 35 minutes (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferable)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels.
Cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Generously season pounded chicken with salt and pepper on both sides evenly.
Combine ½ teaspoon minced garlic in a small bowl along with 4 tablespoons chopped thyme, ½ tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil; mix all the ingredients well. Rub the mixture all over the chicken pieces and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium heat; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Place chicken pieces on the hot grill; cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping chicken once after 5 minutes until both sides browned and chicken cooked through.
Remove from the grill; arrange them on a serving platter; garnish with fresh thyme leaves and lime wedges. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables.
Notes & Tips:
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Dried thyme can be used as a substitute for the fresh leaves; but the flavor wouldn’t be that impressive.
- Adjust spices and its quantities to your requirements.
- You can skip lemon or replace it with lime.