Grilled Orange Chicken Recipe
Roasted or grilled this orange marinated chicken develops into tender and moist chicken with subtle flavor of oranges. Freshly squeezed orange juice plays the essential role in the marinade with a blend of few spices to enhance it; the chicken infuses only mild flavor from the oranges and if you prefer more orangey taste on chicken make sauce with an extra batch of oranges to serve with the dish; you can use this recipe as basic to create different combinations of citrusy chicken varieties once you familiarize with the taste of orange marinated chicken.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 1 hour 5 minutes (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice (pulp free, freshly squeezed is preferable)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 orange (cut into thin wedges, optional)
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels.
Cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly on all sides of the pieces.
Combine 1 ½ teaspoon minced garlic in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag along with thyme leaves, salt, 1 tablespoon orange zest, ½ cup orange juice, ¼ cup olive oil, ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon lemon juice; mix all the ingredients well. Reserve 4 tablespoons of marinade for basting.
Add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 1 hour at least.
Preheat grill to high heat; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Take marinated chicken out of refrigerator; discard marinade. Place chicken on the hot grill; cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping chicken once after 4 minutes and basting with the reserved marinade once during the process until both sides browned and chicken cooked through
Remove from the grill; arrange them on a serving platter; garnish with thinly sliced orange wedges. Serve hot over a bed of wild rice with steamed vegetables.
Notes & Tips:
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Adjust spices and its quantities to your requirements.
- For a variation use pork chops instead of chicken.
- Make sauce to pour over the rice with an extra batch of sauce ingredients.