Garlic Lime Chicken Recipe
Enjoy the perfect blend of summer flavors with a little kick of spiciness in every bite of this garlic lime chicken. Fix the marinade chicken in the morning; refrigerate it till evening; Take out and cook when you are ready; as easy as it sounds but as delicious as a restaurant meal.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 35 minutes (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice (freshly squeezed is preferred)
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels.
Cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Combine ¼ cup lime juice in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag or in a zip lock bag along with Salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon lime zest, 5 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Shake the bag to mix all the ingredients well. Reserve 3 tablespoons of marinade for basting.
Add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 30 minutes at least. But the flavor will be much better if you let it marinate longer than 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium – high heat; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Take marinated chicken out of refrigerator; reserve the marinade if you want to make sauce. Place marinated chicken on the hot grill; cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping chicken once after 5 minutes and basting with the reserved marinade until both sides browned and chicken cooked through. Test the doneness of the chicken by cutting the thickest part of the chicken with fork tip or by reading internal temperature with thermometer. Ideal temp should be 160 degrees F.
Remove from the grill once chicken is done; arrange them on a serving platter; garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and thinly sliced lime wedges. Serve hot over a bed of fragrant rice and steamed veggies on a side.
If you want to make the sauce with marinade then, boil reserved marinade in a saucepan over medium-high flame; once boiled adjust heat to low. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickens lightly. Taste it and add seasonings if needed. Sprinkle a teaspoon of chopped fresh cilantro leaves if you like. Pour over grilled chicken pieces and serve.
Notes & Tips:
- This marinade works exceptionally well with fish.
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Adjust spices and its quantities to your requirements.
- For a variation use lime instead of lemon in the marinade.
- To thicken the sauce mix ½ teaspoon of corn starch in 2 tablespoons of water. Add this mix to the sauce while stirring continuously. Let it cook until you get the desired consistency.