Garlic Chicken Recipe
This Chinese inspired spicy and aromatic garlic chicken is a spectacular way to cook chicken and garlic together; garlic does a fine job enhancing the flavor and takes the chicken to a whole new level; this simple and easy meal is ideal for weeknights or when you are in the mood for light dinner;
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium sized garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley leaves or ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels; working with one at a time place each chicken piece in a zip lock bag or use a two-fold plastic wrap; adjust the thickness of the breast with the flat side of a meat mallet to ½ inch of even thickness.
In a shallow bowl add ¼ cup all purpose flour with salt and black pepper; stir well; working with one at a time dredge each piece in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess.
Lightly press the garlic with the flat side of a knife, hard enough to split the skin from the clove; discard the skin and mince the garlic;
Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high flame. When the butter foam begins to subside, add minced garlic; sauté for 20 seconds until fragrant; then add seasoned chicken to the garlic. If the skillet is not large enough to hold all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 12 minutes 6 minutes per each side turning once or twice during the process until chicken turns golden brown and cooks through. Transfer browned chicken to serving plate using a slotted spoon. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
Deglaze the skillet with ¼ cup of dry white wine; loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon; add ½ cup of low sodium chicken broth along with ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and ½ tablespoon parsley leaves to the wine; bring to a boil;
Taste it; adjust seasonings as needed; continue cooking until sauce gets desired consistency; off the heat once done; pour the sauce over chicken; garnish with more parsley leaves if you like; serve hot over noodles or rice with sautéed greens.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used in the recipe.
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Substitute crushed red pepper flakes with sweet paprika if you have low tolerance for spiciness.
- Use freshly minced garlic to get the natural flavors.