Crispy Lemon Chicken Recipe
When one simple ingredient lemon combines with the plain bread crumbs it can turn ordinary chicken into a satisfying family dinner. Though lemon cannot be found easily in every season it became an important part of many cuisines. Substitute your favorite bread crumbs and make use of those freshly produced seasonal lemons with this recipe.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferable)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a foil lined baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels; working with one at a time place each chicken piece in a zip lock bag or use a two-fold plastic wrap; adjust the thickness of the breast with the flat side of a meat mallet to ½ inch of even thickness. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the pieces.
Combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a bowl; whisk for 30 seconds till smooth.
Add 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs to a platter along with ¾ teaspoon lemon zest and ½ teaspoon garlic powder; stir all the ingredients gently to mix.
Working with one at a time, dip chicken breasts in the lemon mixture; let excess drip off the chicken;
Now dredge both sides of the piece in bread crumb mixture. Lightly press the mixture into it using back side of a wooden spatula and make sure to coat on all sides; repeat the process for remaining breasts.
Arrange all the breaded chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet; bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until chicken cooks through. Test the doneness of the chicken before removing it from the oven; cut the thickest part of the breast with fork tip or read the internal temperature with a thermometer; ideal temperature should be 160 degrees F.
Take the tray out of the oven when done; transfer to a serving platter; garnish with chopped fresh parsley leaves and thinly sliced lime wedges if you like; serve hot over a bed of rice with green salad on a side.
Notes & Tips:
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- To reduce the cooking time use cutlets instead of breasts.
- Substitutions: plain bread crumbs for Italian bread crumbs. olive oil/ egg
- For melted butter.
- For extra added flavors season bread crumb mixture with a variety of herbs.
- For a variation, top chicken pieces with shredded cheese in the last five minutes of baking.