Crispy Herb Crusted Chicken Recipe
Make this quick and easy weeknight dinner with chicken and herbs in just 30 minutes; this recipe provides a tasty way to use your garden’s fresh herbs; include as many herbs as you like along with the listed ones; the aromatic crusted herbs with tender chicken is sure to win your family’s love;
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves or ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a foil lined baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels. Using a sharp knife cut each breast into half lengthwise.
Cover chicken breast piece in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; adjust the thickness ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Place melted butter in a shallow bowl; Add 1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs to a platter along with Salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 ½ tablespoon chopped basil leaves, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves, ½ teaspoon lemon zest and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes; stir all the ingredients gently to mix.
Working with one at a time, dip chicken breasts in the melted butter; let excess drip off the chicken;
Now dredge both sides of the piece in bread crumb mixture. Lightly press the mixture into it using back side of a wooden spatula and make sure to coat on all sides; repeat the process for remaining breasts.
Arrange all the breaded chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet; bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until chicken cooks through. Test the doneness of the chicken before removing it from the oven; cut the thickest part of the breast with fork tip or read the internal temperature with a thermometer; ideal temperature should be 160 degrees F.
Take the tray out of the oven when done; transfer to a serving platter; garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves; serve hot over a bed of rice with green salad on a side.
Notes & Tips:
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- To reduce the cooking time use cutlets instead of breasts.
- Substitutions: Italian bread crumbs for plain bread crumbs. Olive oil/ egg for melted butter.
- For a variation, top chicken pieces with shredded cheese in the last five minutes of baking.
- Use a combination of your favorite herbs along with the listed ones.