Chicken with Summer Vegetables Recipe
A dish with vibrant colors of freshly produced summer vegetables and tender chicken definitely wins the prize as the visually pleasing meal. Use this recipe to make the most out of the upcoming summer with different combination of vegetable medleys.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive/vegetable oil
- ½ cup chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium sized zucchini (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 medium sized yellow squash (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 medium sized onion (cut into wedges)
- 1 medium sized garlic clove (crushed and finely chopped)
Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels; working with one at a time place each chicken piece in a zip lock bag or use a two-fold plastic wrap; adjust the thickness of the breast with the flat side of a meat mallet to ½ inch of even thickness. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the pieces.
Melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when the butter foam begins to subside add half of the finely chopped garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. With the help of tongs carefully slip the seasoned chicken into hot garlic butter. If the skillet is not large enough to hold all the pieces at once without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 10 minutes 5 minutes per side turning once during the process until chicken turns golden brown and cooked through; transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon; cover with a foil to keep warm; repeat the process for remaining batches.
Discard the fat from the skillet (if there is any); add onion wedges to the same skillet along with zucchini pieces, yellow squash chunks, remaining olive oil and chopped garlic; sauté for 3 minutes until onions are fragrant and vegetables are soft;
Add cherry tomatoes to the vegetables; stir once to combine the ingredients; pour ½ cup of chicken broth into the skillet. Bring to a boil while scraping up the residues from the bottom of the skillet; adjust heat to medium; add 1 teaspoon of chopped basil leaves, ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and salt (if needed) to the broth; let it be on the heat for about a minute until liquid reduces; spoon a portion of vegetables on the side of the chicken; to complete the meal, add a bowl of fragrant rice on the other side of the chicken and serve hot.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- To reduce the time use chicken cutlets instead of flattening the chicken.
- Water can be used in the place of chicken broth.
- For a variation add 2 tablespoons of salad dressing (your favorite) to the vegetables while cooking in the broth.
- If you like cheese, sprinkle a tablespoon of grated cheese over the chicken and vegetables just before serving.
- Use different color of vegetables to make it more vibrant.