Chicken Thighs in Tomato Sauce Recipe
This delicious chicken thigh in tomato sauce is just ordinary chicken cooked in special tomato sauce; it is suitable for all seasons, particularly for winters and offers a taste that even picky eaters would enjoy; the delicious addition of the cilantro at the end really compliments and finishes the dish. Make sure to use fresh leaves.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the pieces.
Heat half of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. With the help of tongs carefully lower chicken pieces into the oil. If the skillet is not large enough to hold all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 8 minutes 4 minutes per each side turning once or twice during the process until chicken turns golden brown. Transfer browned chicken to plate using a slotted spoon. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
Discard the fat from the skillet (if there is any); sauté chopped onions along with minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger and remaining olive oil in the same skillet for 2-3 minutes until onions are fragrant; add 1 can of crushed tomatoes with ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon ground cumin to the onions; cook for 2 minutes while scraping up the residues from the bottom of the skillet with the juices released from tomatoes.
Pour 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth into the skillet; bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low; return chicken back to the skillet; cook for 20 minutes until chicken cooked through.
Off the heat once done; transfer to a serving bowl; garnish with fresh cilantro leaves if you are using; serve hot over brown rice/couscous or crusty bread accompanied by a light citrus salad. It makes an excellent meal with mashed potatoes too.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used in the recipe.
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Substitute crushed red pepper flakes with sweet paprika if you have low tolerance for spiciness.
- For more added flavors include vegetables in the dish.
- Dry white wine can be used instead of chicken broth.
- If you do not have canned tomatoes use fresh ones instead.
- For a variation use kalamata olives along with tomatoes in this recipe.