Chicken in Capers and Lemon Sauce Recipe
This 30 minutes one pan meal is ideal for mid week dinners; the briny flavor of the capers beautifully blends with the lemon in the sauce which easily turns the plain chicken into a delightful dinner.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium sized garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferred)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup capers (drained and rinsed)
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels; cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Coat chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper evenly. Take ¼ cup all purpose flour in a wide plate; dredge coated chicken in the flour; shake off any excess.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. Sauté minced garlic in the hot oil for 20 seconds until fragrant. With the help of tongs carefully lower chicken pieces into the oil. If the skillet is not large enough to fit all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 10 minutes 5 minutes per each side turning twice during the process until chicken turns golden brown and cooked through. Transfer browned chicken to a plate; cover with a foil to keep warm until the sauce is ready. Repeat the process for the remaining pieces.
To the same skillet add ¼ cup capers, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ cup dry white wine, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and ¼ cup chicken broth. Loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Cook it for 4-5 minutes with continuous stirring until the sauce thickens. Taste it; adjust the seasonings as needed. Once sauce thickens slightly add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter; stir until butter melts and combines with the sauce.
Off the heat when it’s done. Pour over chicken pieces; garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Serve it over pasta with sautéed greens on a side.
Notes & Tips:
- To reduce the time use pre made cutlets instead of flattening a breast.
- Lemon juice can be substituted with lime juice.
- For veg version replace the chicken with Quorn cutlets.
- If the sauce is still watery mix 1 teaspoon of flour/corn starch in 2 tablespoons of water; add it to the sauce while stirring continuously until sauce thickness.
- Cooking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- For variation use shrimp or turkey instead of chicken.