Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
Make a filling meal with a small amount of chicken and vegetables combining with the yummy noodles. Though it is originated from Chinese this chicken chow mein is an universally popular dish; along with the peppers and onions you can include different combination of vegetables to accompany the chicken or make it entirely vegetarian by omitting chicken completely; this recipe used the basic ingredients to make the dish the way it meant to be but you can adjust them depending on your preference. It is quick to cook and will be a tasty kick to your busy schedule.
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 pack medium egg noodles
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium is preferred)
- 1 ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into bite size pieces.
Add noodles to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft or cook as per package directions; drain the water in colander; put the noodles under the cold running water for 5 seconds to cool them down to room temperature; toss with a teaspoon of vegetable oil to protect them from sticking; set aside.
Make sauce by mixing 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce, ½ teaspoon minced garlic, ½ teaspoon grated ginger and ½ teaspoon white pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients well.
Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; add chicken pieces to the hot oil in a single layer; cook for 4 minutes until golden brown.
Now add thinly sliced red bell pepper to the chicken; stir the ingredients together; cook for a minute until peppers are tender; add the sauce to the chicken; stir and cook for 2 minutes until the sauce is heated through; add cooked noodles along with spring onions to the chicken mixture; toss well to coat the noodles with the sauce. Stir for a minute before removing from the heat.
Off the heat when it’s done; transfer to serving platters; garnish with a handful of spring onions if you like; serve hot.
Notes & Tips:
- You may use leftover or roisterer chicken for this recipe;
- For a variation use beef or shrimp instead of chicken
- You can substitute chicken with the egg or use both.
- Add as many vegetables as you like to make it healthy and colorful.
- Any part of the chicken can be used.