Chicken Caesar Salad Recipe
Chicken Caesar salad is one of the hugely popular salad option to serve as a starter or as a main; use this simplest recipe to make healthy and filling Caesar salad at your home where you can customize the ingredients to your requirements; one experience with the homemade salad will be enough to pull your interest back from the restaurant version. Try this on a hot summer day.
- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 slices of ciabatta bread
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium romaine lettuce (trimmed, leaves separated)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferred)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into bite sized pieces; Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and black pepper all over the pieces.
Cut each slice of ciabatta bread into ¾ inch cubes or tear it the way you prefer; drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the bread cubes; use your fingers to coat the cubes completely with oil; sprinkle a little bit of salt if you like; heat a frying pan over low-medium heat; add seasoned bread cubes to the pan; fry for 4-5 minutes until cubes are crispy and lightly browned; remove from the pan once done; drain on a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
Wipe the pan clean with paper towels; heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat; once the oil heated through slip seasoned chicken pieces into it; If the skillet is not large enough to fit all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently as needed until chicken is golden brown and cooked through; transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon; cover with a foil to keep warm.
Lightly press the garlic with the flat side of a knife, hard enough to split the skin from the clove; discard the skin and chop the garlic roughly;
Make salad dressing by mixing 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, chopped garlic, 4 tablespoons mayonnaise in a small bowl; stir to combine the ingredients; if it is too thick add a tablespoon of water to get the desired consistency;
Tear the lettuce into medium sized leaves; add them to a large bowl along with croutons (fried bread pieces), and chicken cubes; pour the dressing over the ingredients; use your fingers to toss until all the pieces coated well with the dressing. Top it with the remaining grated parmesan cheese and serve;
Notes & Tips:
- For an addition of flavor put chopped garlic (extra) in the hot oil when frying bread cubes.
- Add more vegetables of your preference to make the salad more vibrant.
- You can use leftover bread to make croutons.
- To reduce the time use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken for the salad.
- Any part of the chicken and any type of bread can be used.
- For a variation add bacon or anchovies to the salad.
- Grill or sauté the lettuce leaves to give a new look to the salad.
- White wine vinegar can be used as a substitute for lemon juice.