Braised Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
Welcome the spring to your dinner table with this braised chicken and vegetables; cooking vegetables and chicken in one pot helps them to exchange the flavors with each other, which makes it relatively simple to introduce tender vegetables with meaty flavor to picky eaters. Apart from being easy and tasty this is exceptionally healthy. Whether with the forgotten vegetables from the refrigerator or with the freshly produced spring varieties make sure to taste it.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 8 bone in chicken thighs
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- ½ cup chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 medium sized carrots (cut into 2 inch sticks)
- 2 medium sized potatoes (with/without skin, cut into cubes)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Rinse chicken under running water; with the help of paper towels pat dry the excess. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the pieces.
Heat half of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high flame. With the help of tongs carefully lower chicken pieces into the oil. If the skillet is not large enough to hold all the pieces in a single layer without crowding it, work in batches. Cook for 6 minutes 3 minutes per each side turning once during the process until chicken turns golden brown. Transfer browned chicken to a plate using a slotted spoon. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
Discard the fat from the oven; sauté chopped onions along with minced garlic and remaining olive oil in the same oven for 2-3 minutes until onions are fragrant;
Add carrot sticks and potato cubes to the onions; stir once to combine; cook for 2 minutes to soften the vegetables; deglaze the oven with ½ cup of dry white wine; Loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the oven with a wooden spoon.
Pour ½ cup of chicken broth along with ¾ teaspoon thyme leaves and ½ teaspoon paprika into the oven; bring to a boil; taste it; add/adjust salt, spices and its quantities as needed; reduce heat to low medium; return chicken back to oven; cover and cook for 18-20 minutes until chicken and vegetables cooked through.
Off the heat when done; transfer to serving platters; garnish with fresh thyme leaves if you like; serve hot over a bed of rice.
Notes & Tips:
- Any parts of the chicken can be used in the recipe
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken.
- If vegetables seem to overcook, cut them into bigger pieces.
- If you do not have white wine, use 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Add a variety of vegetables to the dish.