Black Beans & Chicken Chimis Recipe
Plump beans, spicy salsa and tender chicken wrapped up in crispy tortillas are one of the filling meals when you have no time to spend on several dishes; this recipe uses black beans filling; but it can be varied according to the availability and preferences. Choose the salsa depending on the heat to control the spiciness. Add other seasoning and herbs to make the filling more interesting.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup salsa (medium heat)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to your taste
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inch or preferred size)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper corns
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F; take a baking sheet and coat with non stick cooking spray.
Wash chicken breasts under running water; dab them with paper towels to dry off excess.
Put 2 chicken breasts in a pot over medium-high flame with enough water to cover it completely; add a teaspoon of peppercorns, ½ teaspoon of minced garlic and salt; bring water to a boil; reduce the heat to simmer; poach for 15-20 minutes until chicken is tender and cooked completely.
Remove from the stove when it’s done; separate from the liquid; allow it to rest for 10 minutes or until cool enough to touch with bare hands. Cut into ½ – 1 inch cubes on cut board or shred with forks. Set aside.
Stir 1 can rinsed and drained black beans in a large bowl along with 1 cup salsa, shredded chicken, ground cumin and oregano; continue stirring until all the ingredients combines well;
Place a tortilla on a plate; spoon ¼ of chicken mixture at the center of the tortilla; sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the mixture; fold the edges and roll up the tortilla; repeat the process with all the tortillas; distribute the cheese and chicken mixture equally between the tortillas.
Apply olive oil to the upper layer of the folded tortillas; arrange the prepared chimis on the baking sheet seam side down; put the tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F until tortillas are crispy.
Take the tray out of the oven when done; transfer to a serving platter; serve hot with fresh salsa and Mexican rice accompanied by a nice salad.
Notes & Tips:
- Instead of poaching a chicken use leftover or rotisserie chicken to speed up the process.
- For a variation use turkey instead of chicken.
- You can replace the olive oil with melted butter.
- Use a toothpick to secure the tortilla pack if necessary.
- For a variation add cooked rice to the chicken mixture along with corn and peppers.