Baked Chicken with Muenster cheese
Breaded chicken breast topped with Muenster cheese will make a lovely dinner when served with rice or roasted vegetables. This recipe slightly deviates from the basic version; uses garlic powder to enhance the flavor and lemon to brighten it up. Anything with the combination of cheese is a delight; add as much cheese as you want to make your dinner time more delicious.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 thin slices of Muenster cheese
- ¼ cup chicken broth (homemade, low sodium is preferred
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a heavy duty foil lined baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Rinse the chicken under running water; use paper towels to dry off excess. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the pieces.
Crack an egg in a medium bowl; whisk for 30 seconds till smooth.
Add ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs to a platter along with ½ teaspoon lemon zest, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes; stir all the ingredients gently to mix. Working with one at a time, dip chicken breasts in the egg; let excess drip off the chicken;
Now dredge both sides of the piece in bread crumb mixture. Lightly press the mixture into it using back side of a wooden spatula and make sure to coat on all sides; repeat the process for remaining breasts.
Add ¼ cup chicken broth, ¼ cup dry white wine in a bowl; stir to mix well; set aside.
Arrange all the breaded chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet; bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes pour the liquid over chicken; drizzle a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and top each piece with a slice of Muenster cheese; return the tray back to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes until chicken cooks through and cheese melts;
Take the tray out of the oven when done; transfer to a serving platter; garnish with fresh seasonal herbs if you like; serve hot over a bed of rice and roasted greens on a side.
Notes & Tips:
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- To reduce the cooking time, flatten the breast with a meat mallet before cooking or use cutlets.
- Substitutions: ½ cup dry white wine or ½ cup chicken broth for ¼ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup dry white wine. Panko bread crumbs for plain bread crumbs. Milk/buttermilk/olive oil/melted butter for egg.
- For extra added flavors season bread crumb mixture with a variety of herbs.
- For a variation, top chicken pieces with sautéed mushrooms along with cheese slices.