Baked Asian Chicken Recipe
Asian style is one of the most easy and simplest ways to prepare chicken; here this recipe explains the procedure to make good Chinese restaurant style chicken at home; the technique to get it is in the sauce; sauce flavors the chicken and leaves that exotic touch in the mouth; this version includes ginger and red pepper flakes which cannot be found in the traditional recipe; skip them to make it more authentic Asian style chicken.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium is preferred)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F; coat a heavy duty foil lined rimmed baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Rinse the chicken under running water; pat with paper towels until dry; using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1 inch cubes.
Boil 4 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce along with ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 teaspoons honey, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar in a saucepan over high heat; once boiled adjust the heat to medium; cook for a minute until sugar dissolves completely and sauce thickens slightly.
Arrange chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer; pour the sauce over the chicken; make sure to coat all the pieces with the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn the pieces over once after 15 minutes; baste with the sauce from the baking pan; bake for another 15 minutes until chicken cooks through;
Take the tray out of the oven once done; transfer to a serving platter; garnish with a tablespoon of sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions; serve hot over rice or noodles. It goes well with almost all the varieties of rice and noodles.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Baking time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- For a variation use turkey or pork for this recipe.
- Leftover chicken can be used in sandwiches.
- To avoid the scrubbing must use a foil in the baking sheet.
- White wine vinegar can be used as a substitute for the rice vinegar.