Asian Chicken Skewers Recipe
These chicken skewers are made with soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar; here soy sauce is the main ingredient and provides a base for the recipe to which you can add as many other ingredients as you like to give it an authentic Asian touch; Preparation is easy and takes only 10 minutes with the ingredients you can easily find at the Asian section of the local super markets.
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 35 mins (marinating time included)
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive/sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium is preferred)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or use Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is preferred, optional)
Rinse the chicken under running water; pat with paper towels until dry; using a sharp knife cut each chicken breast into 1 inch cubes.
In a large bowl combine ¼ teaspoon white pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon lemon juice if you are using. Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. Taste it and adjust seasonings and its quantities as you go.
Pour the marinade in a reseal-able plastic food-storage bag or in a zip lock bag; add chicken to the marinade and toss to coat; seal the bag; make sure to squeeze out the air before sealing. Keep in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 30 minutes at least.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat; lightly coat the grate with oil.
Take 7-8 preferred skewers; take marinated chicken out of fridge; discard the marinade; stick a skewer through the middle of each chicken piece; adjust the pieces together; distribute chicken evenly between the skewers.
Place skewers on the hot grill; cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping chicken once after every 3 minutes until both sides browned and chicken cooked through.
Remove from the grill once done; slide them off the skewers to a serving platter; garnish with sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions if you like; serve hot over rice or noodles accompanied by a light salad.
Notes & Tips:
- Any part of the chicken can be used for this recipe.
- Grilling time varies according to the thickness of the chicken.
- For a variation use turkey or pork for this recipe.
- If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for 30 minutes before grilling.
- You can use hot sauce instead of red pepper flakes.
- Add as many vegetables as you like to the skewers along with chicken.