Almond Crusted Chicken Recipe
As a variety of the crusted chicken this has tender and moist chicken with crispy, nutty almonds crust; to perfect the crust this recipe uses a combination of almonds and breadcrumbs; but you can be creative and use a mix of different nuts to get that crunchy outer layer.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup finely chopped unblanched almonds
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves or ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive/vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
Preheat the oven 350 degrees F; coat a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Rinse the chicken under running water; dry off excess with paper towels.
Cover chicken breasts in a twofold plastic wrap or wax paper; flatten them to ½ inch thickness by pounding them with the flat side of a meat mallet. Repeat the process for all pieces.
Sprinkle ½ teaspoon black pepper and salt evenly over 4 breasts.
Crack an egg in a medium bowl; add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to egg; whisk for 30 seconds till smooth.
Add ¾ cup finely chopped almonds to a large bowl along with ½ cup panko bread crumbs, ¾ teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon chopped parsley; stir the ingredients to mix well.
Working with one at a time, dip chicken breasts in the egg; let excess drip off the pieces;
Then dredge both sides of the piece in almond mixture. Lightly press the mixture into it using back side of a wooden spatula and make sure to coat on all sides; repeat the process for remaining breasts.
Heat half amount of olive oil in a non stick, oven proof skillet over medium-high flame. With the help of tongs carefully lower almond coated chicken pieces into the oil.
Working in batches cook for 2 minutes; using tongs flip the pieces without disturbing the crust and cook for another 2 minutes or until both sides are golden brown. Transfer browned chicken to a plate; take a paper towel and wipe out the excess from skillet. Heat remaining oil in the same skillet and repeat the process with all pieces.
Off the heat; return back the pieces to skillet; place it in the preheated oven; bake at 350 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes until chicken cooked completely. Take the skillet out when it’s done. Transfer to a serving platter; garnish with a tablespoon of parsley leaves if you like. Serve hot with brown rice/couscous accompanied by sautéed greens.
Notes & Tips:
- You may use chicken cutlets or tenders for this recipe.
- Any part of the chicken can be used in this recipe.
- Skip lemon if you are sensitive to it.
- For a variation use finely chopped pecans or walnuts instead of almonds.
- Normal bread crumbs can be used as a substitute for the Panko.
- If almond mixture doesn’t stick to the chicken, use food processor to smooth it out a bit.